"We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be"
C.S. Lewis

Friday, April 8, 2011

"Fat Guy In A Little Coat..."

Don't be offended by my post title...I'll get to it's not-so-hidden meaning later in my post. :)

This past Thursday I had another OB appointment. I am 29 weeks along right now but the nurse practitioner says I'm measuring 36 weeks. It makes sense because I've got extra amniotic fluid. I have another ultrasound appointment on Friday and at that time they will determine if I need to be "drained." My guess is, they will wait another two weeks, but I could be wrong. Right now my discomfort level is probably a 7 out of 10, mainly because the only position that isn't uncomfortable is laying on my side. And since I can't chase a 2-year old while laying on my side, I'm pretty uncomfortable most of the time :) But because my discomfort level isn't over a 10, they probably will wait to drain any fluid until it becomes unbearable. Mainly because they can only do it a few times. Since I'm only 29 weeks along, I still have 10(ish) weeks till my due date. So if they can only do it a few times, they need to wait as long as possible.

I haven't posted about this next bit yet because we weren't certain if it would happen. We still aren't certain (maybe we'll find out on Friday) but I thought I'd post about it now because it has relevance to the whole "draining me" thing.

Ken and I have made the decision to, if possible, have Carina's organs donated. We have been told that there doesn't seem to be a reason her organs would not be acceptable (other than her lungs, the rest of her organs are growing normally). It wasn't an especially hard decision, but the aftermath of this decision is more emotional and painful to think about. If any of her organs are accepted, it would limit our time with her. They would have to take her as soon as she passes away, but they would bring her back as soon as they could. This, I know, will be hard for me. I can't even think about it now, but we are just praying for God's strength for that time. And what an amazing gift to be able to give another family! We still are not certain that they will accept, but we are trusting God with this and just being obedient to how we feel Him leading.
The other thing is, we need to be able to carry her as close to term as possible so that her heart and other organs can grow as strong as they can. This will also be important for the timing of them draining the fluid. Since they can only do it a few times, they will need to space it out as much as possible so they don't have to induce me too early, limiting the time for her organs to keep growing. Please be praying with us about this decision. We are praying that the timing is just right. That if they do accept any of her organs, that we will get some quality time with her before she passes. (we are praying for this regardless of their decision to accept or not.) We are also praying for the strength when and if they do accept. We're also praying that if they have to drain any fluid, the are able to space it out enough to get me as close to my due date as possible.

On a more selfish (?) note, all of my cute maternity clothes are getting too small...soon I will have to resort to the "balloon" maternity clothes for comfort. This is, of course, due to the extra fluid. At this point in my pregnancy (29 weeks) I should still fit into my cute stuff. But every time I try on something I think will be comfortable...I feel like any minute the seams will rip or buttons will start popping off. Hence the "fat guy in a little coat" comment. (You're welcome to all you Chris Farley fans) :0)

Well that was my moment of complaining. Most of the time I am content to wear my balloon clothes knowing it means I still get to feel Carina moving and playing. I am content to play the recording of her heartbeat at times when I question....well, everything. I am content to dance with Autumn because I know it will be the only time she gets to spend with her sister. I am content to blog and journal my journey because I know it is reaching people and encouraging so many. And I am content to be Carina's mom for as long as I am allowed this privilege.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... Praying! And loved the title. Made me laugh right away. Now the little song is stuck in my head. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Sarah, not Micah....I love your little stories! you are such an encouragement to everyone. :) Still praying for strenght and hope for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete