"We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be"
C.S. Lewis

Friday, May 27, 2011

One

I have been waiting all week for Friday to be here and when it came I was disappointed. I felt like this week had dragged by, but now that Friday is here it feels like it's come too quickly.

But today was a good day. My cousin-in-law (technically that's what she is!) and her son came to visit and we spent an hour or so at the playground enjoying getting to know each other a little better and letting the kids tire themselves out.

Ken was able to come home and eat lunch with us which is always a nice surprise.

A friend of mine dropped off a book I've been wanting to read (Pride and Prejudice, if you're curious. I've seen the movie, but I've been told the book is definitely worth reading).

Another friend came and cleaned the house for me so that when we come home from the hospital we'll come home to a clean house.

My sister-in-law flew in today just so she could help in anyway with kid care. She also did bath duty, dish duty, and played a mean game of Quelf with me (aren't you all jealous?).

The same friend who cleaned my house came back to enjoy some coffee and Quelf with me and my sister-in-law. We had a great girls night. (I sent Ken out with his friends for a night of hockey and laughter. A night we both needed.)

So I was hardly alone today, which was good. I didn't have to worry about tomorrow. And even as I sit here writing, I'm not worrying. I worried all week about saying the right words to Carina when we see her. I worried about the timing of everything. I worried about everything. But I'm okay now. It's such an odd thing...to know exactly what tomorrow holds, but in reality, know nothing. But I'm okay.

A wise friend told me that being a friend to someone, a REAL friend, means living life with them. It means coming over and cleaning someones house. It means making a meal for someone. It means telling them you love them. It means checking in with them regularly. It means saying nothing and just listening. It means allowing them to have an opinion that may differ from yours, and loving them anyway. It means just being there for someone. It means living life with them. I am so blessed to have found my real friends throughout this journey.

Tomorrow we will face the hardest day I think we've ever had to face, but we are able to look on it with joy. Because of Christ, we can have that joy. I know that no matter how much time we have with Carina tomorrow, SHE is the lucky one. She gets to see Jesus.

Praise Him, for He is good.

1 comment:

  1. Kristen, I can't even imagine what tomorrow will be like for you and Ken, but I do know that we have a God that is bigger than all of our worries, doubts, troubles, uncertainties,fears. And he wants us to take all of them to Him...
    I have been reading your blog and am amazed at how beautiful you write. It seems to be a love letter to your daughter. You are telling her all about her life before she is even born. You are loving Carina more in her short time with you than some babies get in a lifetime. As tomorrow approaches and your heart seems heavy, remember that Jesus was prayed for you, for this very moment(John 17:20) I pray that our Lord gives you precious time with your daughter before she goes home to be with Jesus. May God give you the peace that passes all understanding. And I pray that you and Ken feel the love and prayers of all of your family and friends.
    We love you....
    Kathy McKellar

    ReplyDelete